These images are made on the edges of Desert Hot Springs, a small town on the south west boundary of the National park. It is sometimes referred to as the Desert Empire. The population has rocketed from 2,700 in the 1970s to over 26,000 now. The town was founded by L. W. Coffee in 1941. Coffee chose the name Desert Hot Springs because of the area’s natural hot springs, due to the San Andreas Fault bisecting the area, one side has cold water, the other has hot. Alondside the spas there are trailer parks, golf courses and new residential developments, some suddenly halted in the face of the recession.
Desert Hot Springs